The Live Solar Map can be found here!
There is a lack of understanding of PV potential, performance and impact on electricity systems across different regions of Australia. These types of data are required to inform investment and system design decisions, and for the management of and planning for distributed energy.
This project involves the development of an interactive PV mapping tool for tracking the uptake and impact of PV and disseminating information to facilitate investment and research.
The Map incorporates:
- Historical and live performance data covering all main climate regions in Australia, with PV’s contribution to meeting load by electricity market region
- Installation density and capacity installed by both postcode and Local Government Area, as well as PV power stations greater than 100kW
- Market data and trends: total capacity, installations/month, capacity/month, cost/kW and installations by size.
- A GIS-based tool for assessing PV potential in urban environments, accounting for available roof area, tilt, orientation and shading
- An animation of the per-postcode PV installations across Australia since January 2007
- Monthly installations for individual postcodes
This project will provide increased awareness, confidence and information about PV capacity and performance. It will provide access to data that can be used to conduct high quality research related to photovoltaics markets, performance, reliability and integration with energy markets and networks. Such research can be used to help to understand the factors that contribute to cost reduction, quality and reliability of PV electricity.