Our analysis shows that Adelaide CBD could generate more than 25% of its electricity needs from its own rooftops, with the installation of 129 MW of solar on CBD rooftops.
Using the average results from our 4 methods:
- There is potential to install 129MW of solar photovoltaics on CBD rooftops
- There is potential for 32 times the existing PV deployment
- 43% of the total roof area could accommodate 516,000 solar panels
- This could generate 174GWh annually
o meeting 26% of the CBD energy demand
o supplying the equivalent of 34,000 SA households
o avoiding 77,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions
- CBD electricity customers could save up to an estimated $54 million per year
Analysis of 3 case study buildings in Adelaide’s CBD suggests potential solar PV capacities of:
- 350kW on the Centrepoint Building,
- 840 kW on the Central Market, and
- 1300 kW on the central building of Adelaide Convention Centre.