The Australian PV Institute analysis shows that Melbourne LGA could generate more than 12% of its electricity needs from its own rooftops, with the installation of 461 MW of solar on its rooftops.
Using the average results from our 4 methods:
- There is potential to install 461MW of solar photovoltaics on City of Melbourne rooftops
- This represents a one-hundred fold increase on the existing PV deployment
- 38% of the total roof area could accommodate close to 2,000,000 solar panels
- this could generate 548GWh annuallyo meeting an estimated 12% of the LGA energy demand
o supplying the equivalent of 112,000 Victorian households o avoiding 567,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions
- Melbourne electricity customers could save up to an estimated $112 million per year